Loading... Please wait...

Finished Object Friday

Posted

SHARE

Welcome! Finished Object Friday is a new series inspired by Emerald Erin's Bra-a-Week posts. While I'm not sure I'm quite up to making a bra every week, I think the regular commitment to improving skills and learning new ones is a great way to fast-track my further education in bra making, activewear and swimwear.


To be honest, this project feels like a bit of a cheat. It probably has the greatest effort to satisfaction ratio of anything I've ever sewn.

I'm talking about Pin-Up Girls Boy Shorts Collection.

I wanted something quick and easy to try out the new 7.5" stretch lace we have in store. We have the lace in two colours, Denim Blue and Black. I'm a sucker for black lace, but the blue is a lovey shade that tends to grey, but looks great with navy and periwinkle as well as dusty pinks (Hopefully my next project can be a bit more adventurous in terms of colour combinations!).

Unlike a lot of lightweight stretch laces, this one has a lovely substantial feel to it, while remaining soft and not at all scratchy. It has about 40% stretch, so I sized up for my knickers as per the instructions (the pattern calls for at least 50% stretch), and the size feels good.

The pattern is simple, with clear instructions and hints about the types of stitches to use if using a sewing machine instead of an overlocker/serger. I, of course, chose to ignore these hints, and sewed the seams with the lightning zig-zag on my machine, and then finished the edges with a wide regular zig-zag. I found this made for a slightly neater finish, and kept the seam allowances under control when sewing the inseam.

I also tacked the seam allowance down with a straight stitch for a few millimetres at the centre front and back waist. I found this kept the waistline looking neater where the scallops meet at the seam.

The gusset lining is just a scrap of jersey, zig-zagged over the seam intersection. To keep the seam intersection from becoming too lumpy, I zig-zagged the seam allowance flat to one side. I also finger pressed the centre front and centre back seams to opposite sides at the intersection before sewing.

To finish them off, I sewed a little piece of white satin ribbon (all I had to hand, must tidy this mess!) to the centre back, to save confusion over which side is front and back. You could equally sew a little bow to the centre front, but I wanted the lace to shine on it's own.

One word of caution if you are making the all lace view of the Boy Shorts: if you are blessed with a substantial amount of junk in the trunk area, be aware these shorts are quite low rise on the backside. I am most definitely not blessed, and 7.5" lace is quite cheeky on me. It's a very cute look, but if it's not for you, you may be better served using a wider stretch lace, or sticking with one of the knit fabric views.

The boy shorts took under half an hour to cut and sew the first pair, so I naturally made a second pair straight away. For some bizarre reason I can't explain, I cut the first pair in the smallest size, so the second pair fit me quite happily.

I'm aiming to make something for my top half for next week!

P.S. Don't forget to enter out Instagram giveaway. There's a $50 voucher up for grabs!

SHARE
comments powered by Disqus


chat iconOur newsletter

Recent Updates